Monday 9 April 2012

STAR BLUES on 8th April 2012 at 22:00

Easter was an excuse to base our STAR BLUES around a neat anthology put out by the Sunday Times twenty years ago. Can't recall if I sent a postal order with or without tokens but I got 4 discs bound into a long-form hardback book. Most if not all the selections came through Columbia as was (Sony these days) meaning Big Bill Broonzy, Son House, Champion Jack Dupree, Taj Mahal and so on. Their tracks picked themselves on our playlist.
I doubt the Sunday Times intended the offer to be an evangelical piece but it would be great to think those 4 discs turned a few folks towards our music. Kim Wilson leads the Fabulous Thunderbirds on the late Jerry McCain's song and Screamin' Jay Hawkins rendered a magnificently atmospheric original of 'I Put a Spell on You'. Peppermint Harris was another with his own song - 'I Got Loaded' - surprisingly later covered by Robert Cray, who will be coming to the UK in the summer.

The Sunday Times covered a few other bases: Stevie Ray Vaughan and Gary Moore as well as Leadbelly and Blind Boy Fuller; Big Joe Turner and Amos Milburn. We hope you got an idea of the range of blues styles that fit on a Sunday Night at 10pm: the set from two decades hence sounded as good last night as when the postie popped them into my box. All sorts of blues and tomfoolery - and a BRAND NEW white tee-shirt, next week until then take care of yourselves and take care of those that take care of you.


Tuff enuff. Fabulous Thunderbirds
Shake your money maker. Fleetwood Mac
I got loaded. Peppermint Harris
Frankie and albert. Taj Mahal
I wanna be loved. Muddy Waters
I put a spell on you. Screamin' Jay Hawkins
St james infirmary. Georgie Fame
Wimmin from coast to coast. Lightnin Hopkins et al
Worrying you off my mind. Big Bill Broonzy
Rag mama rag. Blind Boy Fuller
Every morning. Keb Mo
Good morning miss brown. Taj Mahal
I'd rather go blind. Chicken Shack
Boogie my way back home. Gary Moore
Gamblin man blues. Champion Jack Dupree
Jumpin tonight. Big Joe Turner
Sax shack boogie. Amos Milburn
Drop down mama Mississippi Fred McDowell
I live the life I love Mose Allison
Hand me down my old walking stick Big Joe Williams
Wimmin from coast to coast Lightnin' Hopkins et al
Wall of Denial Stevie Ray Vaughan
I got my mojo working Mike Bloomfield
Packin' trunk Lead Belly
Dont leave me baby. Lowell Fulson
Rag mama rag Blind Boy Fuller
Cheap tequila. Johnny Winter
Mean Woman Blues Allman Brothers
Created: 09/04/2012 21:32:39 

No comments:

Post a Comment