Monday 8 March 2010

STAR BLUES on 7th March 2010 at 22:00

The hot new ticket billed for the show was the duet of Joe Bonamassa with B.B.King an album still a fortnight in the future as far as the shops are concerned, yet on STAR BLUES last night. Their go at Willie Nelson's "Night Life" started the second hour of the show, by which time we'd already had great music from harp maestro Little Hatch and Messrs Pink and Floyd. I also had the chance to listen to Roy Buchanan's "Sweet Dreams" at decent volume - in my youth I'd heard it at low amps through a transistor radio underneath the bedclothes from Radio Luxemburg (208).

I guaranteed that 95% of the audience would hate the cover of "My Babe" that Dr. David Evans discovered on a field trip to North Mississippi courtesy of the Napolean Strickland Fife and Drum band. The track is blues in its purest form,played from the soul on the simplest of instruments - hugely ripe for sampling by Moby (but thankfully not yet). Memphis Minnie and Lucinda Williams both sang "Me and My Chauffeur" but fifty years apart, Chuck Berry let it rock and JB Lenoir let it roll then from 1966 Al King captured a timeless theme with his "Money's Not Long Enough". Buddy Guy and the second Sonny Boy were in Chicago and one third of the Boogie-Woogie trio held up the piano end on six wheels. I can't think of another show on radio anywhere in the world last night with all those blues and a white tee shirt.

By the way come Good Friday I have a little something extra for you - in a black tee-shirt. Meantime come next Sunday (Mothers Day) I'll be back with more blues and tomfoolery, I hope you'll be able to share those two hours at ten p.m. (GMT) - until then take care of yourselves and take care of those that take care of you

Gary Blue

No comments:

Post a Comment