Tuesday 21 April 2009

STAR BLUES on 19th April 2009 at 22:00

The British Blues special I did over Easter featured "The Greatest Electric Blues Guitar Performance EVER (EVER)" and the latest STAR BLUES show tried to top it with "The Greatest Female Vocal ..." - Lorraine Ellison's "Stay With Me Baby" was never a hit but has never been successfully covered either (though many have tried). She had the job of following a sparkling exhibition of finger-picking from Portland-based Mary Flowers on her version of "Big Bill's Blues" - Broonzy himself was no slouch on his axe.

The newer British blues scene got an outing with Jools Holland and there'll be more from the genre when I do the second part of the British Blues special later in the year (watch this space for more details). Juicy Lucy did "Who Do You Love" in the Sixties, George Thorogood did it in the late Seventies and it's since become an anthem. I had chance to recount the story of my first George Thorogood gig where my mate drove 80 miles with a broken arm and me changing gears. George is a bit closer next month, he plays at the Cambridge Corn Exchange in May.

I also included a track from the brand new album by Larry Garner to show why it has been so favourably reviewed everywhere, and I had a superb rendition of "Big Blue Diamonds" from Little Willie John off an Ace anthology that concludes the reissue of all Willie's sides he did for the King label. Memphis Slim did "Mother Earth" - something I took from Bob Dylan's Radio Hour collection as a companion to Zim's own "Someday Baby" from the "Modern Times" album. I've not seen the new one yet (his 46th in 47 years) and I don't know if it will be rootsy enough for inclusion on the playlist - we'll see.

Next week I'm going to be playing a track from the new album by Gordon Smith (Now there's a legend of Sixties British blues) - it's a good'un - until we can be together again on Sunday at ten, on FM and on-line at www.star107.co.uk - take care of yourselves and take care of those that take care of you

Gary Blue

No comments:

Post a Comment