Monday 18 May 2009

STAR BLUES on 17th May 2009 at 22:00

... or the (empty) case of the missing cd? There I was all set to play Rosco Gordon on last night's STAR BLUES show and the digipack was empty, zero-content, missing, bereft and deficient. A check on previous playlists at http://www.garyblue.co.uk/ shows I've never played it before so the question is baffling in the extreme. The boss at home puts it down to a senior moment but as a mere slip of a lad she surely can't mean me?

I did find and bring new albums from Alex Dixon, Seth Walker, Sugar Pie deSanto and a double anthology of the singles put out on Goldwax - all of which come recommended in their own way: the Goldwax set is just the first of three and I for one can't wait. George Thorogood and Jeff Healey did us proud at the top of the shop and they set the stage for classic blues by Elmore James and Howlin' Wolf. There can be no other blues show on the planet willing to go to as many bases in two hours - a claim backed by tracks from Etta Baker, Big Joe Turner, The Golden Keys, the Ikettes and Jimi Hendrix. A further gospel offering came from an unusual source - Frankie Lee - and there was a sublime piece of West Coast action on the keys from Floyd Dixon. He was accompanied with Oscar Moore on guitar and life gets no better than that.

This upcoming Sunday (24th) is a bank holiday so I'm having a look at the Oscars of the blues world with bits and bobs from the runners, riders and winners. All being well I'll have one winner's cd to give away in a competition so I hope you can be with me on FM and on-line at http://www.star107.co.uk/ where there is a 9-5 no repeat workday. Until then take care of yourselves and take care of those that take care of you

Gary Blue

No comments:

Post a Comment